FOTD: Gyaru/Dolly Girl Make

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hey guys! If you've been following me on instagram lately you've probably seen a few spoilers to this post and  you'd know that I've been experimenting with some new looks lately, particularly a look that I've totally admired on Tsubasa Masuwaka and japanese models on PopTeen. Granted, I don't exactly have the pouty lips and smooth porcelain bone structure for the job, but that doesn't really stop me from making a fool out of myself hahaha. I'm starting to get used to my new makeshift lens filter which makes blues duller and reds and yellows warmer. Tell me if you guys like the new look of my photos!

The look probably would've suited me more had I still had my straight bangs, but I still managed to rock it either way.

Gyaru or Dolly Japanese Makeup Look FOTD Tutorial TonyMoly  Premium Eyelash IVI, Etude House Under Lash 11 and FairyDrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara
My nails go surprisingly well with the look :P Contact lenses from Dull to Doll

One of the key points of achieving the gyaru (from the word 'gal') or dolly look is opening up those eyes. The secret? The two L's: Lashes and Lenses. It's all about the illusion of large eyes using circle lenses and the right combination of lashes for the job. To prove my point of how much of an impact lashes and lenses can make on the perceived size of the eye, check out the picture below.
Gyaru or Dolly Japanese Makeup Look FOTD Tutorial TonyMoly  Premium Eyelash IVI, Etude House Under Lash 11 and FairyDrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara
TonyMoly  Premium Eyelash IVI, Etude House Under Lash 11 and FairyDrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara; photos taken with lowlight flash

Ah, the wonders of makeup. It actually makes you think of how japanese models look under all that makeup. *shudders* I'm sure they're pretty either way x_x For this look in particular, I used a combination of TonyMoly Premium Eyelashes IVV and Etude House Under Lash 11 (cut in half). You want to pick a right balance between dramatic and natural and also make sure your lashes aren't too top-heavy by balancing it off with under lashes.

The trick to using underlashes is to not go overboard. I cut mine in half and filled in the rest of my lashes with FairyDrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara for long wear and a more natural look. Also, for the dolly look, instead of wearing top lashes exactly on your lashline, it tends to help to extend them past your eye to fake the impression of larger eyes. To connect the larger artificial lashline, some skill and practice is required to use the false lower lashes as a guide to your new wider lower lashline.

TonyMoly Premium False Eyelashes IVI

For most Japanese models, all the work is on the eyes, but with people with less desirable features like mine, if you can't make it, fake it with a little contouring. Below are a few points to achieve the look!

Gyaru or Dolly Japanese Makeup Look FOTD Tutorial TonyMoly  Premium Eyelash IVI, Etude House Under Lash 11 and FairyDrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara
Click to enlarge

Lips are also quite a thing when it comes to dolly looks where nude or pastel colors are preferred. Milky gloss is really great for these looks and if you don't have the money to shell out losts for CandyDoll or DollyWink, you can actually find a good alternative in Human Nature's Mineral Lip Gloss in Pink Hibiscus. To amplify wear and stay power, it's good to wear it over an entire lipbase of lipliner. I used TonyMoly's Berry Lovely Girl Dual Lip Liner #3 (the nude tip). I might do a review on both of those products later on.

Because your eyes are already a spectacle in themselves, dolly looks tend to focus on more light-wear and light shimmer shadow, whereas gyaru looks tend to go all out with colors and depth in the eyes. It's really all up to preference when it boils down to it.

All in all, this isn't really a look I'd wear on a day-to-day basis, but it's perfect for cosplays, or if you're really into that kind of harajuku lifestyle. I'd wear this more often if I didn't get stared at all the time for wearing it. It's really quite fun finding out how you can push the limits of makeup.

Gyaru or Dolly Japanese Makeup Look FOTD Tutorial TonyMoly  Premium Eyelash IVI, Etude House Under Lash 11 and FairyDrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara

So what do you guys think? Ever tried this type of look? What are your thoughts on it? I'm all eyes ears.

Ada, signing out.
Get Quality Website Philippines

19 comments:

*.❤TorukoGyaru❤.* said...

Gorgeous makeup! Wish i had your lips, mine isn't full at all :(

torukogyaru.blogspot.com

KeiKeiKirsten said...

Ohmygosh Ada!!~ (*0*) You look like a dolly gyaru~❤ Peeeerfect & so pretty~!

wan winkle said...

you look so pretty as a gyaru (^___^)!!! and your makeup looks really clean and natural ~

Raimar Guevara said...

Oh sweetie really lovely makeup.


xoxo

Dea Andriany said...

Your eyemake looks exactly like Tsuchan's!! I can spend hours looking at her eyemake because they're really pretty ^^
Have you ever tried using Dolly Wink's lashes?

Ada Agupitan said...

Awww, thanks Kirsten! That means a lot coming from you :) I remember when I asked for a lash tutorial and yours totally helped with this!

Ada Agupitan said...

Thanks Wanny! Hahaha. When I get my new brown lenses, I might actually be able to wear this out!

Ada Agupitan said...

Thanks! :)

Ada Agupitan said...

Haha, I wouldn't say exactly, but I try :) My eyes point upward and the way she does hers is a lot cuter with a droopy effect (which I'll try doing in the future). I've never tried using them because they aren't locally available here but I hear they're really awesome! Maybe when I go to Japan or HK, I'll drop by a Sasa and check them out :)

Noire Roberts said...

Amazing! Love it!

Ada Agupitan said...

Thanks! :3

♠ aiMee Bunbun ♠ said...

Gunduh so pretty mana saken :)) xoxo so dollish!

vivian said...

Great Blog!

Would you like to follow each other on GFC?

Vivianista.com

Erica M. Baylosis said...

why your so pretty ms ada :) hehe . the lashes is very pretty , also the
contact lense its good :) i want to have a face like you :) kidding :)
hihih <3

Ada Agupitan said...

haha thanks :) lashes and contact lenses make a huge difference especially if you want to give the impression of large eyes :)

Dewie Aprillia said...

OMG! u looks so cute with dolly eyes like that..love it <3

Ada Agupitan said...

Thanks! Haha. I don't usually wear this out but it's fun to play around with makeup sometimes :)

Stephanie Lee ♡ said...

Oh my! you're so pretty <3 I love this FOTD

Ada Agupitan said...

Thanks! It was also very very fun to shoot and do. I love playing with my makeup for more dramatic looks when I have the time. :P I think we all secretly do it lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...