Les Misérables Press Screening

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

You can probably guess from the title why I missed my usual schedule of posting today. Yesterday, I went to the press screening of Les Misérables in my country. Most of you will be doubling back, wondering 'Wasn't Les Mis ages ago?'

Yes, yes it was. But because of a little something called the Metro Manila Film Festival, its screening was delayed in the Philippines. Owell, you win some you lose some. I hear that Fast and Furious 6's Asia Premiere will be in the Philippines with some of the cast including Vin Diesel coming to visit, so I guess we make up for it with that. The irony is, there isn't much room to be 'Fast and Furious' here in the Philippines because of all the traffic x_x. But I digress.

I was originally invited to be at the January 9 screening, which was unfortunately cancelled and postponed to yesterday, January 15.

For all the hustle and bustle however, I'm pretty sure it goes without saying that Les Misérables is well worth the wait.

The event itself lacked the grandeur of the first planned advanced screening, but retained the respectable aura befitting of a movie that just won big at the Golden Globe Awards -- Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy), Best Actor (Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy): Hugh Jackman Best Supporting Actress Motion Picture: Anne Hathaway.

I of course, chose to dress myself a little fancy for the occasion, being the mini-attention crave that I am LOL. But on a rather sad note on my part, I forgot to bring a battery pack for my camera, thus the lack of decent photos. *cringe* Bad photo quality. You can see more coverage of the event at http://www.wazupphilippines.com/ in the future.

Les Misérables Philippines Advanced Screening at Megamall Cinema 3

Les Misérables Philippines Advanced Screening at Megamall Cinema 3

Being an avid fan of the musical, and having followed the casting and progression of the motion picture after the announcements of release, I can confidently say that the film itself did justice to the emotion and historical backdrop of the circumstances the musical revolves around. You can expect iconic renditions of all the fan favorites -  'I Dreamed a Dream', 'Stars', 'Who Am I?', 'A Heart Full of Love', 'On My Own', 'One Day More' and 'Do you Hear the People Sing?'

My personal favorites from the musical itself are the songs 'At the End of the Day', 'A Little Fall of Rain', 'Red and Black', and Gavroche's 'Little People' which all have wonderful renditions in the movie. Can I just lend a special mention to the little boy they cast as Gavroche? What a charismatic young lad he is and his part in the tale is thoroughly heart-wrenching.

Speaking of casting, the all-star line up is no secret from the movie posters released - including big shots with known musical background like Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway as Jean Valjean and Fantine respectively, who earned their Golden Globe Awards with their heart-wrenching performances.

Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway give outstanding performances as Jean Valjean and Fantine in Les Miserables 2012 earning them Two Golden Globe Awards

You've probably also seen Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) in her role in Mama Mia! and Russell Crowe (Javert) in his more iconic role in the Gladiator. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and while I maintain that Amanda Seyfried is a mediocre singer at best, she more than makes up for it with her on-screen presence. Russel Crowe, on the other hand, has been receiving mixed reviews in his rather different portrayal of the supposedly vindictive inspector. Some have complained of the softness of his portrayal of the role, but once you've learned to accept that Crowe is no Geoffrey Rush, you start to feel for the character, however emotionless his singing may be.

A big round of applause also to Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen to bringing a whole new side to the Thenardiers I never thought existed. Part comedic relief and part social commentary, these two know how to play the eccentric Inn Keeper and his wife to the tee and their colorful rendition of Master of the House will always strike me as one of the best setups in the movie.

Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter as the Thenardiers in Les Miserables 2012

The total scene stealers who I'd wish would get more recognition however, are Samantha Barks, Eddie Redmayne, Aaron Tveit and Daniel Huttlestone who play Eponine, Marius, Enjolras and Gavroche respectively. Despite not being big-named players in the movie industry, these guys showed true theatrical prowess in their powerful portrayals of the key players in the musical revolution.

Samantha Barks as my favorite Eponine

2012 Les Miserables Gavroche

The ABC Cafe Red and Black Eddie Redmayne as Marius and Eddie Redmayne and Enjolras

For those who are not familiar with the book, the play, the musical and previous films on Les Miserables, the film adapts the strengths of all in its theatricality balanced well with good cinematography and musical arrangement. Almost all the singing in the movie was done on-set so the raw emotions of the actors and actresses can be felt through the screen. A testimony of which were the number of grown men crying audibly in the theater throughout the movie.

One happy addition that you can look forward to is the added action and confrontation to the film, that you would not usually get in the musical adaptation due tot he strain of singing during fight scenes. But do be warned, prepare yourself for inordinate amount of close-up shots during solo musical pieces. While most would find one-take closeups boring, I commend the fact that it does not take away from the meaning and emotion behind each song and instead helps you focus on each character's inner turmoil and dialogue.

A lot of key climactic build-up points which were conveyed musically were replaced with cinematic segues but all were done with class and with little left to want. Some of the build-ups I wish they could have included however are the lead-up to 'A Little Fall of Rain' and Gavroche's scrambling for ammunition. These build-ups would have done wonders for these characters' role in the greater scheme of things.

All in all, be prepared to cry as the 2012 Film Adaptation of Les Misérables is sure to be one of those films you'll remember for the rest of the year.


Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

movie stills from google images
Get Quality Website Philippines

15 comments:

Amandaaa said...

i heard this was aammaazinnngg! it is definitely one of the most anticipated movies of this year for sure. i have a feeling if i saw this in theatres i'd be balling my eyes out! i'm so easily affected by watching/reading things -__-;; i liked your little review of it though :D
riceysupreme.blogspot.com

y u k u . said...

I really, realy love the songs from it and heard much about the book when I was still in high school. It's definitely a movie I would watch if I have the chance + time for it. (*´・v・)
Their choice of actors and actresses seems good too. Esp. with Helena Bonham Carter.
She's really a gifted actress and suits this rather bizarre attitude and scenery of the whole movie perfectly, in my opinion.

Katrina Rebecca Guzon said...

Grew up with this musical! I'm planning to watch it with my cousins and Lola because the musical made a great impact in us way back. Too bad the MMFF made the appearance of this film late. I really hate the movie house when December comes. Some movies who deserve to play on screen longer are also cut short because of it. Anyway, I'm still glad its showing now, can't wait to watch it!

Chelle said...

i definitely am not going to watch it... the poster looks so scary and I hate/afraid of horror films so xD
lol
that's just me :p

anyway, I love your white one-piece with boots combi outfit :)

Ada Agupitan said...

It's not a horror story though. It's a musical :)) There's nothing scary about it at all :P Maybe you mistook it for another film?

Ada Agupitan said...

I grew up with this musical too. I have nothing against the MMFF but you're totally right. A lot of Golden Globe nominated movies weren't even screened here in the Phil because of it x_x

Ada Agupitan said...

I know right? Helena Bonham Carter was amazing haha. You should definitely go watch it if you have a chance~!

Ada Agupitan said...

Awww, it's too bad you didn't get to see it. It'll be out soon on DVD so I'm sure you'll get to see it someday. The soundtrack's also partially on youtube so you can check it out from there :)

Miki Chelle said...

oh really?? maybe xD my friends told me about some films and stages at the same time so xD kkk
as long as it's not a thriller or horror then lol

Erica M. Baylosis said...

this movie is very beautiful :) very theatrical and musical. hehe :) you must also watch pitch perfect :)

Ada Agupitan said...

I know! I've been wanting to watch that for awhile. I'll get it immediately after my finals this week are over :)

sherry ann gole cruz said...

great movie though i watched it online

Ada Agupitan said...

Really? Such a waste. It's one of those movies worth seeing in the cinemas :) But what matters is you watched it. It's really quite good <3

sherry ann gole cruz said...

love your outfit in the premier :)

Ada Agupitan said...

Thanks Sherry Ann :P I use this dress too often though ahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...