In Retrospect: Etude Surpise Essence Concealer

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Whoo~! Hey guys! Hope you're all having a wonderful week. For some people out there, it's that time of year that you get to spend time with your family and commemorate what some may call Holy Week. Some people might think about it as the time when chocolates start coming in funky bunny and egg shapes in time for Easter, and for some it's just any other day - enjoy it either way :P

For me on the other hand, I've been spending the past few days reviewing for seemingly never ending exams.  Oh the life of an Iskolar ng Bayan (trans: Scholar of the Nation). I had an ethics debate just this Monday, an exam for my Major yesterday and two exams just today x_x I have 3 more exams coming up next week plus a paper due next Friday. I'll be honest with you guys - I've been running on less than two hours of sleep for the past few days. Talk about exhausting. Lack of sleep does horrid things to your skin. Fortunately for me, I'm not one who breaks out due to stress, but one thing that really plagues me is DARK CIRCLES. Ugh.

*Insert Picture of horridly dark circles here.* On second thought - never mind. you might run away screaming.

You guys are probably just going to have to take my word for it haha.

When these kinds of stressful non-stop work days come however, there's always been this one thing I've been going to for backup - Etude House's Surprise Essence Concealer.

Etude House Surprise Essence Concealer #2 Review

Frankly speaking, this isn't the best concealer out there. Nor does it have any real WOW factor to it. It's a basic concealer that works for me and that's it. But I use it almost everyday and it's my go-to concealer out of habit. I think my skin's adapted to it so well (not the other way around) that no other concealer seems to  sit as well as this does when it comes to my dark circles. I probably can't say the same for everybody out there but this just has a special place in my heart.

I think it started out when I had just ran fresh out of my L'oreal True Match Concealer and was looking for something cheaper to fall back on. I think this was my first ever purchase from Etude House here in the Philippines and that was almost a year ago. Prior to this, my only other Etude House purchase had been a lip gloss and their Baby Skin Foundation 2 or 3 years back from Thailand. Needless to say, at that time it was a last resort purchase, and just like its name suggests, I was surprised at how well it worked for me. I've been using it ever since!

It's undergone quite a few changes since then, most notably in packaging -

Etude House Surprise Essence Concealer #2 Review Old and New Packaging

Haha, you can see my battered up old tube on the right. It was markedly less cute a year back than it is now. My old tube's even become somewhat misshapen. Funny story. I left it next to my laptop's exhaust outlet where all the heat lets out and the packaging bent out of shape. Remind me never to do that ever again x_x

The new packaging is highlighted by a cute baby pink but still contains the same amount of product for the same price. Glad to see that despite the bad economy the price of my go-to concealer hasn't budged :P Despite that, I can't help but miss the old brown packaging. I was less worried about getting it beat up and dirty when it wasn't quite as cute. Now I always make sure to take extra care when handling the new packaging because the pink is so easy to get dirty D:

Another change that I've noticed is in the wand --

Etude House Surprise Essence Concealer #2 Review Old and New Packaging

It has a rather odd shape now if you ask me. With one little round top and a wide area under. Sort of reminds me of FairyDrop's Volume Burst Mascara wand haha. I guess the tip is for precise dotting and spot concealing and you can just tilt the angle of the brush for a wider coverage. I still don't see the need though. I could do that just fine with the old wand.

One thing that hasn't changed however is the product itself:

Etude House Surprise Essence Concealer #2 Review Swatch

It looks a bit different swatched on my hand because my old tube dried out a bit, but it's essentially just the same concealer I've grown to know and love. You can leave it as is for a dewy finish or top it off with some powder to set it into a matte finish. No worries - it doesn't cake of settle. It's some of the thinnest consistency concealer without compromising good coverage I've used. It also has floral-citrus scent to it, which really wakes me up in the morning!

I choose under eye concealer that's one shade lighter than my skin tone so that it has a brightening effect on my dark eye circles x_x I use a different concealer/product for spot correction/concealing when I need it.

I can't count the times this concealer has saved me from that dead tired zombie look in cases of all-night studying, project cramming and procrastination brought about by distracting Korean Dramas (DARN YOU Queen InHyun's Man!!!)

This is a picture from a few days ago, when my dark eye circles were starting to resurface once again. You can't really tell because my my flash lighting washes my skin out in these shots but IRL, you'd cringe in horror.

Etude House Surprise Essence Concealer #2 Review

There's a HUGE difference if you ask me. It brightens up my eyes quite well, doesn't dry out the skin under my eyes and also doesn't settle into fine lines.

NOTE: The skin around and under your eyes is very susceptible to wrinkling, and drying out. It's probably one of the more sensitive parts of the skin on your face so finding a good product for it is really important. I find this concealer is very gentle with my skin and it lasts pretty long as well.

Again, I'll say this - this isn't the best concealer out there, but I've grown to love it out of a sense of loyalty over the time I've used it. It's probably why, along with Etude House's Goodbye Pore Ever Primer Stick, it's earned its place as one of my Etude House Essentials.

Of course, there's no substitute for a good night's rest and proper sleeping habits. Children and ladies, don't follow my example TT_TT Instead, sleep early and rest those beautiful eyes x_x Unless of course you're up late at night reading my blog, then it's okay LOL I'M KIDDING. Go to sleep!

Ada, signing out!

Follow me!
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google + | Bloglovin


Get Quality Website Philippines

57 comments:

y u k u . said...

Who needs proper sleep? Proper sleep? I get this now in my vacation though my sleep rhythm doesn't seem to be the healthiest anyway... ヘ(;´Д`ヘ)
And I'm tired anyway... (urgh.)

So... I ordered a concealer from Etude House just half a week ago but I don't know if is that.
Anyway... I never had a good concealer till now so I'm quite sure it will do the work. (^▽^)

Chloe said...

Woah I really see a huge difference! Well I hope you do well with the exams, and get plentiful of rest after and when you can :)

http://lacy-rose.blogspot.com

Ada Agupitan said...

Hahaha. I might bum around once all my exams are over. I once slept 14 hours straight. I am a sleepy piggy. What a coincidence that you ordered a concealer from there as well :P Can't wait to hear about it when you get it :D Thanks for dropping by!

Ada Agupitan said...

Yehp. It works best for brightening, but I don't use it often for spots or acne when I have it :P

Ada Agupitan said...

Thanks TT_TT I'm going to need it haha. Thanks for dropping by!

Ada Agupitan said...

298 siya tapos maliit lang na tube, pero grabe, since konti lang naman yung kailangan kong iconceal (sa undereyes lang talaga), yung isang tube 8 months naglast sa akin hahaha. Sabi ng tatay ko tipid daw ako gumamit ng kahit ano. Kaya pala siguro konti lang talaga yung nauubos ko kada buwan lol


I only tried the 2-shade pan sa boutique nila. Di ko kasi type yung texture eh. Seems like it might settle into fine lines. Pero it's really good coverage daw. Di ko lang alam kung nag-sli-slip siya sa init ng panahon. Tried and tested ko na 'to eh so I just stuck to this :P

Ada Agupitan said...

Haha. Yep. That very big difference is the reason I need this concealer. Lesson of the story - the importance of eye cream and 8 hours of sleep haha. I really want to try the coastal scents concealer palette, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use all the shades since I'm not a pro makeup artist anyway and my skintone doesn't change that much. Do you have a review of it? I'd love to check it out if you can link it to me :)

anyajang said...

Wow, would love to try this one O_O
And I have watched Queen In Hyun's Man too! Amazing drama haha^^
Btw, can I know the product you use to conceal spots?:3

http://anya-jang.blogspot.com

eyahnism said...

I see mura lang pala sya for a concealer will try to swatch this one sa stores thanks ada! :)

Sílvia Ávila said...

I liked, would love to try this, it looks so nice.

Cj Escuadro said...

whoah!I'd love to try this out too!I'm having horrible dark eye circles because of staying up late :| blame facebook.lol..Followed you thru GFC sis.New follower right here!hehe..


Cj from www.pinayontheloose.com


P.S I'm having my first blog giveaway,I hope you can join?:)

sakurapikuseru said...

I actually looks pretty good! :') And the packaging is so cute!
My Innisfree one has just run out...so that gives me a good reason to order this one I guess! :D
I get such bad under-eye circles...


http://sakurapikuseru.blogspot.com

Rossy said...

I'm not really like using eye cream.. It makes my eyes feel sticky in the next morning.. haha >.<
I'm not yet make the review of the CS eclipse palette, but you can find many review on Google.. btw, I'm not pro too, but it's really help me to cover some redness on my face.. haha.. I use at my mom too, because she has many dark spot, and she is very happy with the coverage ♥♥~ haha

You should buy it when there is a discount.. CS often offer some discount.. :D

Ada Agupitan said...

yehp! looking back, I'm glad I got this :)

Ada Agupitan said...

:o I've never tried innisfree before. Maybe I'll try it after this one runs out haha. But judging by how much I use that might take forever x_X

Amandaaa said...

i love this concealaer! i've gone through 3 or 4 x]!! it just covers for well and i use it pretty much everyday! <3


riceysupreme.blogspot.com

Kawaii Ryn said...

Aw,definitelly will buy it,because i have panda eyes too~
thanks for the review >w<

btw,new follower here ^^ mind to follow me back?
chocolatestrawberrylife.blogspot.com

Ada Agupitan said...

Whooo we have the same taste in concealer hahaha. I might have to ween myself off this one just so I can try new things, but if worse comes to worst I always have this to fall back on haha

Ada Agupitan said...

I've followed back! Thanks for dropping by! Panda eyes are a common plague to us all ugh. I read a few of your posts! Hopefully you get some soft contact lenses of your own :)

y u k u . said...

I got the package yesterday and it happens to be the same but the stick. I didn't actually remember anymore... I'll make a review on it - hopefully a good one sooner or later... (;

Junjun said...

Oh wow~ I really need to try this! o: (Especially with my dark circles)
Thank yo for sharing~

Khairani Karim said...

Seems like u're an etude house lover! so many good reviews on EH. Just follow u!
check my EH haul~
raramensch.blogspot.com

Sania Akbar said...

This is a magic and a must-have product, i will chk this out soon .. thanks for review xooxx ..

Ada Agupitan said...

You should, and if you do, tell me what you think! :)

Ada Agupitan said...

Hahaha yeah I love Etude's products, but not all of them are really very good. I only give good reviews to those that genuinely do wonders :P

Ada Agupitan said...

I wouldn't call it magic, but it does pretty well haha :) Glad I could help :)

Natalia L said...

My dark circles are a nightmare for me, and they give just a horrid look to my face, I'm still using one from Missha, but I'll keep this one in mind! ;D

Irene Chandra said...

I am gonna buy this soon! i really need to get rid my dark circles T____T Thanks for sharing! :D

Rita Iryanti said...

Oh dear it worked on you so pretty! ake an enough rest next time, baby ^^

Xoxo

Rica Sicad said...

wow! this is magic, love to try this

Ada Agupitan said...

I've never tried the one from Missha before. I might check it out! :)

Ada Agupitan said...

Haha I don't think it'll 'get rid' of them, but it does a really good job of covering them up! Hope this works as well for you as it has for me :)

Ada Agupitan said...

I can't say it's magic, but it's pretty close :D Maybe you should try and see. Seeing is believing haha

Julie-Ann Sta. Ines said...

Want to try this for my dark dark circles.. =D

ToothfairyGardy said...

Wow, this is impressive! It really brightens your under eye area!
xx

Ada Agupitan said...

You should try it! It's definitely not the best, but it works pretty well!

Ada Agupitan said...

I know! The brightening is nice. Now if only there was a way to just decrease my eyebag size in general hahaha. Owell. I'll just consider them as Aegyo-sals :P

Dewie Aprillia said...

I love it too.. and I have the new suprises packaging <3
nice post darl! :D

Sie Cajilig said...

Wow. It may not be the best, but wow. Coverage is good enough for me. :3

Sie Cajilig said...

Wow. It may not be the best, but wow. Coverage is good enough for me. :3

Guest said...

I had to order this:D I suffer from dark under-eye areas and none of my concealers have succeeded to cover them.. So..I'll have to wait two weeks to get my hands on this product:3 It shall be my first Etude House product along with their new CC cream and apricot ice cream nailpolish:> Really excited to use and review them!^-^

Guest said...

I had to order this:D I suffer from dark under-eye areas and none of my concealers have succeeded to cover them.. So..I'll have to wait two weeks to get my hands on this product:3 It shall be my first Etude House product along with their new CC cream and apricot ice cream nailpolish:> Really excited to use and review them!^-^

Ada Agupitan said...

I'm glad you selected this as one of your purchases! I really want to try the CC cream because I heard a lot about it! I hope this concealer works as well for you as it did for me! :)

Ada Agupitan said...

I'm glad you selected this as one of your purchases! I really want to try the CC cream because I heard a lot about it! I hope this concealer works as well for you as it did for me! :)

Ada Agupitan said...

I like this concealer because it's buildable, but some might find it too sheer for their taste. Plus there's only 2 shades available. The darker shade is perfect for brightening my under eyes! Thanks for dropping by! I'll check your giveaway out as well~ Thanks again!

Ada Agupitan said...

It's not the best out there, but it does the job :)

Ada Agupitan said...

It's not the best out there, but it does the job :)

Ada Agupitan said...

Haha the drama is one of my faves. To conceal spots I use Boing Concealer, but I haven't used it in a while because I haven't really needed it. It has pretty good coverage but sometimes dries my skin out :)

miyalicious said...

A really nice concealer. *__*

Ada Agupitan said...

Thanks for dropping by~! I'm actually a huge fan of your blog as well haha. Glad you found the review helpful! I'll definitely drop by and follow back :) Sorry for the late reply. net's been really wonky D:

sherry ann gole cruz said...

i badly need this,thanks for this post,gonna purchased this product soon

Ada Agupitan said...

Glad you enjoyed this review~! I hope this products works as well for you as it did for me :D

Jaree Romero said...

WOOOOOOWWWW I WANT HIS. Thanks for the review ^^

Ada Agupitan said...

Glad this review helped you! You should definitely try this, or at least try the tester to see if it suits you :)

rhania escueta said...

ive been reading a lot of rave about EH concealer.. they're cheaper than any other brands =) would include this on my wishlist! =) hugs!

Yingying Law said...

is it good for really reallyyy dry skin?

Ada Agupitan said...

I'd say it's better than most for dry skin :) It's very hydrating. However if your skin is dry to the point of flaking, I'm not sure this would be best because it doesn't go over flaking skin very well.


Of course, regardless of whether or not you use this, I'd recommend applying a moisturizer before you apply makeup if you have dry skin :) I hope this helped!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...