Art Post: My History in Art

Saturday, June 16, 2012

So I've been a very art-oriented person since I can remember. It may seem quite pompous of me to say, but my earliest memories are of people complementing on how well I drew or how perfectly shaped my circles were and how good I was at coloring in the lines. Haha. Either I was really talented or they were just really patronizing of an overconfident child.

There was a time when I was legitimately considering pursuing art. Back when I was in fourth grade, I had accounts on sheezyart and deviantart and a good number of people following me and my art. I was quite a child back then, and if you've followed me long enough on this blog, you'd know I wasn't always the happiest of children. This was my art from somewhere between fourth and sixth grade:

by Ada Agupitan
I was a rather sad child haha

Yehp. Dark theme, anime looking style, horrible proportions and bad shading. It's the telltale signs of a pre-teen acting out ahaha. But it wasn't always that depressing.

by Ada Agupitan

Ahaha, I always laugh at how large I used to draw females' breasts. I think it's a phase I went through. And I'm not exaggerrating when I say I used to draw them large.

by Ada Agupitan

It's sad to think that my first ever colored work, circa sixth grade was of a busty Japanese Anime woman with a badly drawn dress. I think I was overcompensating for the lack of cleavage I knew I would eventually have to deal with ahaha. Seven to eight years later and I'm still as flatchested as ever :P

I had such a complex that someone dared me to draw something without boobs, and this was the result:

by Ada Agupitan
I tried.

But the point is that for most of my life, I always thought I'd have a chance as an artist, even a writer, or maybe a scientist. Heck, one point in my life, when I was a competitive figure skater, I thought I'd make it to the olympics, but that's another story to be told at a different time. The point was, I really didn't have any focus when I was young. I was one of those people who was good at a little bit of everything, and not exceptional at anything, and I think that's how I am even until now.

It's stuff like that that makes it hard to decide what career path to choose, and eventually I ended up choosing to center myself around Science. Thus, I attended a science high school, Philippine Science High School - Main Campus to be specific. It's actually quite prestigious although I did hold some past resentment of it during my days there (sift though my 2008-2010 posts, you'll see what I mean)

I did all this at the expense of my pursuit of art, but somehow I managed to keep it alive, although I haven't really improved much since then.

by Ada Agupitan

This was the earliest I could find of my art in high school. Excuse the tackiness of it all. I was young and I was essentially a n00b at Photoshop. This was my class and there are far too many inside jokes for you to even fathom what it all means, but for your reference, that's me, third from the left at the first row from the bottom. Yes, I used to have short hair then. I know, it seems like a downgrade from my art in grade school, which is saying something because that was when I had transferred from my original school to PSHS. You can tell that my priorities were different and art was more of a hobby now that I was science-concentrated.

When I was in my second year of high school, I started to question why I was even concentrating so much on science. I drew a lot more then and spawned a few decent works:


by Ada Agupitanby Ada Agupitan
Self-portrait 2nd Year HS

Finally, my art was getting back on track (and my coloring on photoshop wasn't as tacky) - but this time in expense of my grades. Second Year was by far my lowest year grades-wise. It was almost as if my art and my good grades could not co-exist. That sucked for me, because I legitimately enjoyed drawing haha.

But somehow, between second year and the years that followed, I was able to find a nice balance of the two, and I got better at both over time. You've seen a lot of my art posts from this period of my life here already, but here are a few I dug up from my closet.

by Ada Agupitan

by Ada Agupitan

by Ada Agupitan

by Ada Agupitan

And I got better with digital work as well.

By Ada Agupitan

by Ada Agupitan
Self-Portrait (somewhere between 2nd year and 4th year)

by Ada Agupitan
This is unfinished, but  thought it was pretty, so meh.

And now here I am with my current style of drawing (it hasn't changed since 2009), which is a hybrid of realism and some sort of anime, I'm not actually entirely sure. I'm not even sure if I've improved or gotten horrible over the years.

HEY! SAY! JUMP Inoo Kei 伊野尾慧 Colored Drawing Sketch お絵描き by Ada Agupitan
This is the colored version of my art post here.

So I guess all I'm trying to say is that although I'm not an artist, I still really value art. I may not be as good as all those professionals out there, but I'm not letting that stop me. And for all you other art-oriented people out there, you shouldn't let it stop you either. I'll continue to make art and who knows, maybe in addition to my passion for Molecular Biology, I can sideline as an artist/writer as well? Hahaha.

by Ada Agupitan
Self Portrait, 2012

Don't forget to Live, Love, and Laugh! :)

-Ada xoxo
Get Quality Website Philippines

13 comments:

arika_yasmine2000 said...

Nice drawings on anime version..
My previous chairmate used to draw like you too :)


Follow my blog at
www.arikayasmine.blogspot.com

nothingprofound said...

What a wonderful post. Excellent writing and drawings to match.

Yoyo said...

Oh WOW! You have so much talent for art~! I cna only ever copy or use other drawings as reference, but can never invent my own stuff since it will just go wrong >_<"


P.S Thanks for following! Followed back >o<!

Ada Agupitan said...

Haha I used to be the same way, but I think I just got used to drawing them; muscle memory I suppose! :P


Thanks so much for following back!

Miki Chelle said...

LOOOVE YOUR DRAWINGS!!!!!! :DDD
you are really cool!!!!

xxx
Chelle ;)

Ada Agupitan said...

Aww, thanks :P I love your cooking/baking. so we're even now haha

Miki Chelle said...

XDDD yeah, I think so! :D ahaha

Jane Bearden said...

I could never draw like you =)))) Loove it... Here are some of my recent sketches http://livingwithjane.com/my-todays-drawings

Ada Agupitan said...

Aww shucks. Thanks <3

Rin said...

It's like my life is written here. HAHA. I was also into arts back in High School though I am studying in a Science High School. But compared to you, I was not able to get into digital arts. :))) Also, I did not pursue arts in college. I am actually a BSBio student. Hehe. XD

Ada Agupitan said...

BSBio? Really? Are you by any chance from the Philippines?

Rin said...

Yes. I am. ^^

Ada Agupitan said...

Oh lols. San ka nag bsbio? At anong year mo na? :o

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...