I'm not a Monster

Monday, June 04, 2012

So fresh out of three new songs, Blue, Bad Boy, and Fantastic Baby, BIGBANG is back with another most-likely-to-top-all-the-charts-and-blow-your-mind song - MONSTER.






The Fashion
It's pretty obvious by now that BIGBANG has a rather acquired taste for fashion - they're probably one of the most fashion-forward Kpop bands out there right now, and that's saying something considering how fashion-forward Kpop already is to start with (can you say Shinee Taemin girly hair?).

People always seem to be picking on poor GD for his fashion choices starting from 2009 when he had his solo debut and his Heartbreaker Hair was a little too girly for everybody's liking. But it's safe to say that GD's safe when it comes to his choices (or his company's choices) for this particular video. Let's all just be glad he got rid of those ridiculous long bang extensions that made him look like he couldn't afford to extend the rest of his hair. I will forever take GD's ridiculous coconut-head bowl cut over that style.

And now having said that, let us all allow a moment of silence for Taeyang's hair.

.

.

.

Seriously, people have been picking on Taeyang for ages for not changing up his man-do, and can you blame him? It's sincerely difficult to grow out a mohawk hairstyle out decently without looking like a retard. And besides, his hair actually suited him. He has a sexy neck, ears and jawline - a mohawk really brought out the best of his features which is more than I can say about Mark Salling. Just looking at the dead animal that is that man's horribly suited mohawk makes me shudder. Back on track, frankly speaking, I did not watch and fangirl more than five years of BIGBANG's progression for Taeyang to revert back to his dreadful dreadlocks (no pun intended), and thankfully, he didn't. So as a result of you guys asking for him to change is hair, this is what you get instead. Yay for us! Haha. Does his hair remind you of anything?


Yeah, I thought so. Haha. The entire time they were winging "I'm not a monster" I was thinking, "Yeah, yeah, you guys aren't monsters, but you know what is? Taeyang's hair."

Thank goodness it doesn't look like anything permanent. I'm sure we'll all be careful with what we wish for from now on.

On a completely unrelated note: In some angles, Taeyang looks a bit like Youtube's KevJumba. No? Maybe it's just me.

Teyang's horrendous hair aside, shirtless Daesung and Taeyang are always welcome. But in the process we get poor T.O.P. in a snug little turtle neck. It's like reliving the YG Strong Heart Special where he says he's uncomfortable naked all over again. Damnit T.O.P., you need to show some skin more. What's the use of being so vain of yourself if you're the only one who gets to enjoy it, huh?

The Video
Was I the only one who had a particularly fun time when they were beating up the test dummies? And the little running out of a burning building montage alternating between slow motion and 2xspeed was quite fun to watch. Bravo for BIGBANG's videographers and directors. Not so much for their stylists.

The little bit at the start where we get a first-person POV reminded me of a combination of Condemned: Criminal Origins, Counterstrike and Amnesia, but that's probably because I've been watching too much Pewdiepie. I had my headphones on and the volume cranked up so the sound nearly deafened me though haha.

Also! Kudos for the little detailing and lighting. I find it so fun when they play with the lighting and little markings on their skin appear. Apparently, all the codes end up with the number 5, meaning BIGBANG will always be five people. Yay. Plus the little grooves on Seungri's skin and the change in all the members' eye color? Nice touch ;)

Fans have said it before and I'm saying it again - YG has a certain fixation with fires and explosions. It's like they can't go one effing video without blowing something up. I can practically hear the set designers discussing:

"Oh yeah, we're over budget. We have like a few thousand bucks to spare, we could spend it on cool CG or maybe some extras and awesome props. Any ideas?"
"How about health insurance and paying for all the rest of the junk we blew up before?"
"That's stupid."
"We can blow more stuff up?"
"BEST. IDEA. EVER."

The Song
I love the little splashes of piano and violin in the song. It makes me feel like waltzing across a monster ballroom of sorts like a sir. It makes the song so sentimental and dramatic.

And then the beat drops and you're nodding your head like a maniac. Then a missile accent sound comes in you're waiting for the explosion to come but it doesn't until a few seconds later. Then it gets all techno when the chorus comes in and you're all "damnit, I'm not monster *sob* Why won't you love me!?!?!?"

Yeah, I'm rambling. You guys have to listen to the song with in-ear earphones or noise-cancelling headphones, it makes for an almost 3D experience if that's even possible.

I can't help but feel like the piano sounds a bit familiar though - but with all the songs floating around everywhere I'm pretty sure it won't be surprising if someone finds out why it sounds so familiar (message me if you guys find out why it does though).

I think it's safe to say YG's done it again. Can't wait for Simon and Martina to review this song for Kpop Music Mondays (because you know they will, it's inevitable). I just hope that some time later they'll be able to fit in B1A4's Baby Good Night. Here's to hoping :P
Get Quality Website Philippines

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...